Obliteride is a new charity ride to raise money for the Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center in Seattle. 100% of the funds raised go to finding cures for cancer. Thanks to the generous donations from my friends and family, I was able to raise $1426.50. The ride raised well over $1.4 million total.

Friday night was the big kickoff party at Gas Works Park. I took Jen and Maya as my plus 1 and a half. They had a great dinner provided by Tom Douglas (our local celebrity chef) and a concert by Michael Franti.

After we sat down with our food, Jen says to me “You know that was Tom Douglas who just gave you your brisket?!” No. I did not notice. I was too focused on the brisket.

Michael Franti put on a great show. It was Maya’s first concert, and she had a blast dancing.

4-IMG_0794 3-IMG_0789 2-IMG_0774 1-IMG_0771 8-IMG_0801 7-IMG_0812 6-IMG_0821

Saturday morning I woke up at 5:30. Ate a big bowl of oatmeal, downed a cup of coffee, then put on a thick layer of sunscreen.

I rode the 7 miles to the start line at Magnuson Park, grabbed a pastry and got in the group of 50 mile riders. They sang the national anthem and then we were off.

I rode with the masses as we cruised up to Bothell and to the first rest stop at about 15 miles. I loaded up on PB&J and potato wedges, filled my bottles, and hit the road again.

After the first rest stop, I soon found myself riding all alone. I would occasionally worry that I was lost, only to see another reassuring course marker. It was only when the course looped back on itself that I realized why I was so alone. It was because I was way out in front of most of the 50 mile riders. I guess I’m faster than I thought.

During those solo miles I was thinking about my family full of cancer survivors and victims. Jen’s aunt Joan was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Her grandmother battled it years ago. My sister. My cousin. Two of my aunts. Both of my grandfathers. Pedaling up another hill, legs burning, riding for them.


At the second rest stop, at roughly mile 30, I rolled in to find a throng of volunteers waiting just for me. I loaded up on Clif bars and more potatoes. One little girl working with her mom at the first aid tent asked me “Do you have any blisters? If so, we can help!” Thankfully, I declined.

After that, I rolled through Kirkland, down Holmes Point, and back onto the Burke Gilman Trail. I knew I had about 6 miles left to the finish, and it was all flat from here, so I decided it was time to empty the tank.

I was pushing hard when I caught up with two guys. The three of us formed a little pace line and pushed onward. While stuck at a light, one of them tells me “We’re counting on your young legs to bring us in.” So I obliged by getting on the front and pulling the two of them the rest of the way. I gave it everything I had left, and we were soon at the finish.


I quickly found the food tent, and tried to replace some of the calories I burned. Kicked off my shoes and enjoyed the sounds of a Beatles cover band for a few minutes.


But I didn’t stay too long. I still had 7 miles uphill to ride home. I climbed back on the saddle and sluggishly made my way home. A great day of riding for a fantastic cause.

Here’s the data from my day:

  • 66.3 miles
  • 4252 ft of climbing
  • 04:26:59 moving time
  • 14.9 mph avg
  • 40.9 mph max



Elevation profile:

elevation profile